Cantonese Wonton Noodle Soup (云吞面) | Recipe
In the words of Kanye
"Poopy-di soup, soup-diddy-whoop."
How much does Jeromy love me after I made him this soup? Won Ton. 🥁
Lol, but for real, when you make this soup for another person, you are 100% most honorable, trophy wife. Like who was the genius who thought I like noodles & dumplings so I'm gonna eat them at the SAME DAMN TIME.
This soup is one of our fav go to's, perfect for rainy, cold weather curling up on the couch or for when you're hungover and dying. I mean most Asian food is all rescue hangover food, but like this one is pretty clutch.
1 lb pork
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp canola oil
2 tbsp cilantro
1.5 tbsp shao xing cooking wine
salt + pepper to taste
5-6 shrimp, chopped into large chunks
square wonton wrappers
SOUP (there it is):
2 1/2 - 3 cups of chicken stock
2 chopped scallions (large pieces)
4-5 dried shrimp or 1-2 dried scallops soaked in water for 10 minutes, then drained and minced
salt to taste
splash of fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
white pepper to season
2 large slices of ginger
handful of egg noodles
1. Blend all ingredients for the wonton fillings until you have created your own meat paste (omit the shrimps from this because they are better larger.
2. Grab your square wonton wrappers and fill a small bowl of water to help seal the wontons.
3. Place a spoonful of filling in the middle of a wrapper, wet all the edges with water. Fold the opposite edges together, and pinch to close. Do this with the other side as well. Bunch them together and close with your finger. This is not the refined wonton version that Jeromy's uncle does, but a "smush" version that I do, as his version is harder and I need him to show it to me for the fiftieth time lol. BUT, the end result is v similar.
4. Once you have all of your wontons lined up, start on that soup. Simmer your soup ingredients (except noodles) for 3-4 minutes and then increase to a rolling boil. Add your wontons in and cook for approx 4-5 mins until the wonton skin is translucent.
5. While your soup stock is simmering, boil water and cook your egg noodles until chewy (about 2 mins). Drain noodles and add to your soup.
6. You can also add veggies to this soup like bok choy or other green things. Top your soup with scallions, fried garlic and you can also add red vinegar if you like.